- 1 large pineapple
- 1 cup turbinado sugar (also called Sugar in the Raw)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- A grill with a rotisserie
- Using a serrated knife, cut the rind off the pineapple, leaving the leafy crown intact. Cut out the eyes, making long diagonal V-shaped cuts to give the pineapple an attractive spiraled shape.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Set up your grill for spit-roasting and heat it to high. Using an electric drill with a long clean bit, or a long slender knife, make starter holes in the crown end and base of the pineapple, pushing the knife lengthwise through the center to facilitate inserting the spit. Working gently but firmly, insert the rotisserie spit through the pineapple; be sure to have the first set of prongs on the spit already. Tighten the prongs.
- Sprinkle the rub evenly over the pineapple. Loosely cover the leafy crown with foil. Place the end of the spit in the rotisserie motor socket and turn on the motor. Spit-roast the pineapple until golden brown and tender, about 1 hour, basting with the glaze every 15 minutes; you should have about half of the glaze left over for serving.
- Up to 1 hour before serving, make the cardamom whipped cream. In a large chilled metal bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Add the confectioners' sugar, cardamom and vanilla and beat until stiff. Cover and refrigerate.
- To serve, unspit the pineapple and remove the foil from the leaves. Show it off whole, then slice it crosswise. Transfer the slices to plates, drizzle with the glaze and serve with the cardamom whipped cream.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.