Brown Chicken Stock
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 30 MIN
A recipe from Mario Batali, from the 2007 Classic in Aspen.
Mario Batali: Favorite Meal To Cook
Amazing Chicken Recipes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Bones, wings and scraps from 3 chickens, excess fat removed
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- Stems from 1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil until smoking. Add the chicken bones, wings and scraps and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until well-browned all over. Transfer the chicken parts to a plate. Add the carrots, onions and celery to the pot and cook until softened and lightly browned. Return the chicken bones to the pot. Add the water, tomato paste, peppercorns and parsley stems, stir to release any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot and bring to a boil. Simmer gently over moderately low heat, skimming occasionally, until reduced by half, about 2 hours. Strain the stock, pressing hard on the solids. Let cool, then refrigerate. Skim the fat from the surface before using.
Make AheadThe stock can be refrigerated for 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month.