Watermelon and Tomato Skewers (Pinchitos de Sandia con Tomate)
- SERVINGS: 4
- 8 plum tomatoes
- 1 seedless watermelon, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Sea salt
- Mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Using a sharp knife, slice off the tops and bottoms of each of the tomatoes. Locate the fleshy dividing wall of one segment inside the tomato. Slice into the wall and open up the flesh to expose the seeds. Remove the seeds and their pulp by slicing through the tomato core. Set aside the seeds. Your aim is to keep the pulp of the seeds together to create tomato seed ?fillets? that are separate from the firmer tomato flesh. Repeat with each segment of the tomato.
- Skewer one tomato seed fillet on each cube of watermelon. Arrange the skewers on a serving plate.
3. In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice with the oil, and vinegar and half of the lemon zest. Pour the dressing on the skewers. Sprinkle with sea salt, the remaining lemon zest and the mint. Serve immediately
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.