- Four 8-ounce skate fillets
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup Wondra flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Tomato Salad
- Smoked Chile Butter
How to make this recipe
- Season the skate on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the flour on a large plate and season with salt and pepper. Dredge the skate on both sides in the flour and tap off any excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook the skate until lightly golden brown and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plates or a platter.
- Add the wine to the skillet and reduce by half. Add the cold Smoked Chile Butter, a few tablespoons at a time, and whisk until emulsified. Add the capers, lemon juice and tarragon and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the fish and top with the tomato salad.