- SERVINGS: Makes 32 toasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup finely diced peeled jicama
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 8 slices of day-old white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 1 large egg
- Sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- In a food processor, puree the shrimp with the egg until smooth. Add the butter, truffle oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper and pulse until smooth with small bits of butter remaining. Stir in the jicama and the 1/2 cup of scallions.
- SpIn a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/8 inch of oil until shimmering. Spread 1/4 cup of the shrimp mousse on each slice of bread and sprinkle with sesame seeds. In batches, add the bread to the skillet, mousse side down, and cook over moderate heat until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the toasts and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute. Transfer the toasts to paper towels to drain. Cut the toasts into quarters on the diagonal. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of scallions on top and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.