- 1 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon marjoram or oregano leaves
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 salt-packed anchovy, rinsed and bones removed
- 1 tablespoon salt-packed capers, rinsed and drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon
How to make this recipe
In a mortar, pound the herbs to a paste. (You may have to do this in batches.) Work in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, then transfer to a medium bowl. Pound the garlic with the anchovy and add to the bowl.
Gently pound the capers until they're partially crushed and add to the bowl. Stir in the remaining olive oil, a pinch of pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Taste for balance and seasoning.