Peaches and Soured Cream
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) mascarpone
- About 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ripe peaches, peeled, halved, pitted and sliced
- 16 small mint leaves
- In a small sauce pan combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil. Swirl the pan until the sugar has dissolved completely. Pour the simple syrup into a small heatproof container, and let cool in the refrigerator. (If you're in a hurry, put it in the freezer to cool.)
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the mascarpone with 1/3 cup of the simple syrup. Taste for sweetness and add a little more syrup if you like. Add the lemon juice to the mascarpone and pulse to combine; don't overwork it or it will curdle. Adjust the simple syrup and lemon juice to taste. Refrigerate the soured cream
- In a bowl, toss the peach slices with 3 tablespoons of the simple syrup. Tear the mint leaves with your hands, add to the peaches and toss. Taste the peaches and add a little more syrup if you like. Let the peaches macerate in the syrup for 10 minutes.
- Puree a quarter of the peaches in the food processor before assembling the shortcakes.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.