- Rock salt
- 2 1/2 dozen oysters in their shells, freshly shucked and drained, the deeper bottom shell rinsed and reserved for baking
- 1 recipe Rockefeller Sauce Base
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread a 1/2-inch-thick layer of rock salt on a large baking sheet and across the bottoms of 6 large plates.
- Arrange the reserved oyster shells on the baking sheet. Put 1 oyster in each shell and top with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the sauce, spreading the sauce evenly out to the edge of the shell to completely cover the oyster. (Alternatively, transfer the sauce to a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip and pipe the sauce over the oysters.)
- Bake until the sauce is lightly browned and the oysters begin to curl around the edges, about 20 minutes.
- Using tongs or a spatula, carefully transfer the hot shells to the salt-covered plates and serve immediately.