Lamb Skewers with Lima Bean Puree and French Feta Salsa Verde
- SERVINGS: 6
Please try this recipe if you're a lima bean hater. Suzanne Goin used to be one, too. She detested those dried-out, mealy, frozen beans from childhood. They fell into the "dreaded vegetables" category, along with beets and brussel sprouts. Oddly enough those very vegetables are the ones she has grown to love the most. Fresh lima beans are a revelation; they're especially delicious in this puree.
- 6 branches (about 7 to 8 inches long) of the freshest rosemary you can find for skewers
- 2 1/2 pounds lamb sirloin
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1/4 pound French feta cheese, crumbled
- Salsa Verde
- 1/2 lemon
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Lima Bean Puree
- 1 bunch dandelion or arugula
- Remove all of the rosemary leaves from the branches except for 2 inches worth at the top of each. With a sharp knife, cut the leafless end of each branch at an angle to make a point (this will make it easier to skewer the lamb). Coarsely chop the rosemary leaves you removed from the branches.
- Cut the lamb into 1- to 1 1/2-inch-thick, 2-ounce pieces. Season the lamb with 2 tablespoons of the chopped rosemary leaves, the smashed garlic, thyme and cracked black pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Light a grill 30 to 40 minutes before cooking and take the lamb out of the refrigerator so it comes to room temperature.
- Skewer 3 pieces of lamb on each rosemary branch; the pieces on each skewer should be of similar thickness and not skewered too tightly or they will not cook evenly.
- Stir the feta into the Salsa Verde; taste for seasoning. It does not usually need salt, but might need lemon and a pinch of pepper. Set aside.
- When the coals are broken down, red and glowing, brush the lamb skewers with olive oil and season generously with salt. Place the lamb on the grill and cook for 3 minutes on each side for medium rare, rotating the skewers a few times to get nice a color.
- Spoon the warm Lima Bean Puree onto a large warmed platter. Scatter the greens on the platter and arrange the skewers on top. Spoon some of the French feta Salsa Verde over the lamb and serve the rest on the side.