- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 heads Belgian endive, halved lengthwise
- 1 large head radicchio, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 head romaine lettuce, quartered
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for moderately high heat or preheat a ridged grill pan over moderately high heat. Brush 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over the endives, radicchio and romaine, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Grill the lettuces, turning occasionally, until they are crisp-tender and browned in spots, about 6 minutes.
Coarsely chop the lettuces. In a large bowl, toss the lettuces with the vinegar and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the salad to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.