- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Peaches and Soured Cream
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Place the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and 3 heaping tablespoons of sugar in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse 10 times, to a coarse meal. With the machine on, quickly pour in 1 cup of the cream. Stop the machine immediately when the dough starts to come together. (It is important not to overwork the dough.)
- Place the dough on a clean work surface and bring it together with your hands. Shape it into an even 8-inch round. Cut the round in half, then cut each half into 3 wedges. Place the shortcakes on a buttered baking sheet. Brush them with the remaining tablespoon of cream and sprinkle a little sugar on top of each one. Bake about 15 minutes, until the shortcakes are set and lightly golden.
- Cut the shortcakes in half horizontally. Place the bottom halves on each of 6 plates or on a large platter. Spoon some of the peach puree onto the shortcakes and top with a large dollop of the soured cream. Ladle the peaches and their juices over the cream, letting some of the fruit fall onto the plates. Drizzle on a little more peach puree, set the shortcake tops in place and serve.
Contributed By Suzanne Goin Photo Published