Almond Cake with Fresh Berries
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
This food processor cake is moist and tender. Before serving, the cake is brushed with whiskey-laced syrup, then covered with jam-flavored fruit and served with sour cream or crème fraîche.
- 4 ounces almond paste (3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon tightly packed; see Note)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup cake flour (4 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Toppings and Garnishes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whiskey, rum or Cognac
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- Fresh berries
- Mint leaves
- Sour cream or crème fraîche, for serving
- Assemble the Cake Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter an 8-by-2-inch round cake pan. Line the pan with parchment paper and butter the paper. In a food processor, combine the almond paste, sugar, butter and vanilla and process for 10 seconds. Add the eggs, milk and salt and process for 5 seconds. Add the cake flour and baking powder and process until the batter is smooth, 5 to 10 seconds. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until lightly browned and firm, about 40 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the whiskey with the sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons of water; stir to dissolve the sugar. In another small bowl, whisk the apricot jam with 1/2 tablespoon of water to make a glaze.
- Unmold the cake and peel off the paper. Transfer the cake to a serving platter, right side up, and brush with the whiskey syrup. Brush the cake with the apricot glaze. Scatter the berries over and around the cake. Garnish with the mint leaves and serve the cake in wedges with sour cream.
Lightly sweet sparkling wine: NV Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato.