- 4 center-cut tuna steaks (each about 6 ounces and 3/4-inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup diced (1/2-inch) peeled and seeded tomato
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4-inch) sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup Red Hot Salsa or fresh store-bought salsa
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 200°. Rub the tuna steaks on both sides with the canola oil and sprinkle them with the salt and pepper. Arrange the steaks on a serving plate, or on 4 dinner plates and bake for about 20 minutes for rare. If you wish the fish cooked to medium, leave it in for a few more minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato relish: Mix the tomato, onion, chives, salt and salsa together in a medium bowl. Add the lime juice and olive oil and mix well.
- Remove the tuna steaks from the oven and spoon the sauce liberally over and around them. Serve immediately.