- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound sea or bay scallops
- 1/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomatopeeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Large pinch of cayenne
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Lemon wedges
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the scallops, shrimp and half of the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the seafood from the pan, chop coarsely and reserve in a bowl.
- In the same pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the onion and tomato and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the parsley, cilantro, cumin, paprika, cayenne, saffron, and the remaining garlic and season with salt and pepper. Continue to simmer until the moisture has evaporated, 10 minutes. Add the seafood and bread crumbs and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut the phyllo crosswise into 4 equal strips, 4 inches wide. Cover with a slightly dampened towel until ready to use. Lightly brush 1 strip of phyllo with melted butter and place another one on top. Brush lightly with butter. Place a heaping teaspoon of filling along a short end. Fold in the sides and roll, forming a cigar shape. Brush lightly with butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter and filling. Arrange the rolls on a greased baking sheet and bake until golden, 15 minutes. Serve immediately, garnished with lemon wedges.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.