Middle Eastern Bread Salad With Mint, Peppers And Tomatoes
- SERVINGS: 6
Delicious, Quick Side Dishes
- 1 hothouse cucumberpeeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 scallions, green and white, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 large or 4 small loaves pita bread, toasted or stale, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sumac (optional)
- Black olives (optional)
- Salt the diced cucumber and let drain for 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water and dry well.
- Whisk half of the lemon juice with the garlic and olive oil in a bowl. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Add the cucumber, tomatoes, scallions, parsley, mint and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Put the bread in a salad bowl. Sprinkle with the remaining lemon juice and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the salad to the bowl and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Sprinkle the sumac on top. Garnish with black olives and serve immediately.