- 8 extra-large green olives, unpitted
- 4 oil-packed anchovy fillets
- 2 piquillo peppers (Spanish wood-roasted sweet peppers)
- 1 garlic clove, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Sea salt
- Using the flat side of a paring knife, press each olive until the pit pops out. Cut the anchovy fillets lengthwise to create 8 long slices and cut the piquillo peppers into 8 strips. Stuff 1 anchovy slice and 1 strip of pepper into each olive. You can be generous with the filling, allowing the anchovy and pepper to spill out of the olive.
- Split open the garlic clove by placing it on a chopping board and pressing down hard with the base of your hand or the flat side of a paring knife. In a small bowl, mix the garlic, olive oil, orange zest and vinegar. Place the stuffed olives in the dressing and allow them to marinate for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and serve with toothpicks.
José's tips: Buy the olives unpitted. It's more work for you, but the olives are usually of better quality and have meatier flesh.
Contributed By José Andrés Photo Published