- 12 jumbo shrimp (about 1 pound), shelled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Avocado-Corn Salsa, for serving
- In a large bowl, sprinkle the shrimp with the chile powder, garlic salt, coriander, oregano, cumin, pepper and cinnamon. Toss to coat. Stir in the olive oil and let marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Brush and oil the grill. Arrange the shrimp on the grill. Grill until cooked, 1 to 3 minutes. (When cooked, the shrimp will be pinkish white and firm to the touch.)
- Spoon the Avocado-Corn Salsa into martini glasses or bowls. Drape the hot shrimp over the rims of the martini glasses or bowls, 4 to a glass, and serve at once.
Make AheadIf you prefer cold shrimp cocktail, let the grilled shrimp cool to room temperature, then refrigerate. Steven Raichlen likes the temperature contrast of hot shrimp and cool salsa.