- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped in 1/4-inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely shredded
- Two 28-ounce cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the thyme and carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft. Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and serve. This sauce can be refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 6 months.
This sauce can be refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 6 months.
Contributed By Mario Batali Photo Published