Kaiserschmarren with Strawberry Sauce
- SERVINGS: 4 TO 8
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 1/2 ounces sugar
- 8 ounces crème fraîche
- 1 ounce dark rum
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 2 tablespoons plumped golden raisins
- Softened unsalted butter and granulated sugar, for the sauté pans
- 3 egg whites
- Strawberry Sauce
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with 3 ounces of the sugar at medium speed until pale yellow. Add the crème fraîche and rum and beat until smooth. Fold in the flour and raisins. (This kaiser base can be prepared up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated.)
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Brush four 6-inch sauté pans with butter and sprinkle with sugar. In another bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the remaining 1 1/2 ounces of sugar and beat until the whites are stiff but not dry. Fold the whites into the kaiser base. Spoon the soufflé mixture into the 4 prepared sauté pans and bake for 12 minutes.
- To serve, reheat the Strawberry Sauce. Add the fresh strawberries to the sauce and toss until well coated. Serve over the Kaiserschmarren.