- 1 cup oak or other wood chips (optional)
- 2 medium green zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 2 medium yellow zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon mint, dried
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and black pepper, freshly ground
- Lemon wedges
How to make this recipe
Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Just before the zucchini go on, toss the wood chips on the coals (if using a charcoal grill) or place in the smoker box of your gas grill or in a foil smoking pouch.
Meanwhile, cut the zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Arrange the slices on a platter and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, turning the slices several times to coat both sides with oil. Sprinkle the zucchini slices on both sides with the garlic, mint, hot pepper flakes and lots of salt and pepper. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
Arrange the zucchini slices on the grate and grill until nicely browned, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer the zucchini to a platter and arrange in an attractive pattern. Drizzle the remaining olive oil on top and serve with lemon wedges.