Escarole Salad with Garlic Dressing (Salade à l'Ail)
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 head of escarole, with as white a center as you can find
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped (1 teaspoon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Remove and discard any wilted or damaged leaves from the escarole, and cut the remainder into 2-inch pieces (you should have 5 to 6 cups). Fill a sink with cold water and swirl the escarole in it to remove any sand. Lift the escarole from the water and dry it in a salad spinner. (This can be done ahead; the greens will keep in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.)
- Up to 30 minutes before serving, whisk the dressing ingredients together in your salad bowl. Add the escarole, and toss well.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.