- 1 cup corn oil
- 18 very thin tortillas, 2 1/2–3 inches in diameter
- 2/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 4 1/2 tablespoons canned chipotle chiles, pureed
- 1 teaspoon Cholula sauce (hot sauce)
- 18 medium shrimp—shelled, deveined and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ripe medium avocados, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Pico de Gallo salsa
How to make this recipe
Heat the corn oil in a medium frying pan. Season with salt and fry the tortillas, turning once, until golden brown and crisp. Drain the tortillas on paper towels.
Beat the butter with the pureed chipotle chiles and Cholula sauce until smooth. Season with salt.
Spread almost all of the prepared chipotle butter over the shrimp.
Heat a frying pan. Add the olive oil and the remaining chipotle butter and sauté the shrimp, turning to cook them evenly. Season with salt. Thinly slice the shrimp on the diagonal.
Arrange 6 thin overlapping slices of avocado on each tostada (fried tortilla). Arrange sliced shrimp on top of the avocado. Drizzle with chipotle butter from the frying pan and garnish with a small spoonful of the Pico de Gallo salsa. Sprinkle lightly with salt and serve.