White Clam Pie
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/4 bunch fresh Italian parsley, picked from the stems
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds fresh cockles, about 15 cockles total, scrubbed
- 1 recipe Pizza Dough
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the griddle to 300° F. Cook the 4 pizza rounds for 30 seconds on each side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat, until hot but not smoking. Add the garlic, onion, salt and chile flakes. As soon as the garlic and onions begin to look transparent, add the cockles and white wine. Continue to cook until all of the cockles have steamed open.
- Meanwhile, divide the mozzarella evenly among the 4 marked pizza rounds, making sure to leave a 3/4-inch rim for the crust. Cook the prepared pizzas on the griddle until the dough is cooked but not dark, and the cheese has melted, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the cockles from the pan with a slotted spoon and arrange the cockles (in their shells) on the pizzas, allowing a bit of the juices to drip from the spoon onto the pizza. Serve immediately.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.