- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup peeled, coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- About 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- One 1-pound sushi-grade center-cut tuna steak
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 dried Thai chile or to taste, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 small avocados, cut into small dice and crushed sligthly
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Lime juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- 4 red radishes, sliced 1/8-inch thick and soaked in ice water
- 1 very small Daikon radish, sliced 1/8-inch thick, cut into half moons and soaked in ice water
- Chinese chili oil
- PREPARE THE AVOCADO AND RADISH SALAD Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Strain and set aside.
- PREPARE THE AVOCADO AND RADISH SALAD In a blender, purée the ginger with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil; add more olive oil as necessary until the ginger purée is very smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Champagne vinegar, soy sauce and 1/4 cup of the Kaffir Syrup. Set aside.
- PREPARE THE AVOCADO AND RADISH SALAD Using a very sharp knife, slice the tuna steak horizontally 1/4-inch thick. Cut the tuna slices into thin ribbons that are the width of spaghetti. In a bowl, gently toss the tuna ribbons with the olive oil, Thai chile and shallot. Lightly season with salt.
- PREPARE THE AVOCADO AND RADISH SALAD In a medium bowl, gently toss the avocados with the olive oil and season to taste with lime juice and salt. Drain the radishes and pat dry. In a bowl, toss the radishes with a few drops of Chinese chili oil and season with salt. Mound the avocado mixture in four soup bowls. Top with half of the radishes. Arrange half of the tuna on top in bundles. Top with more of the radishes, saving a few slices for garnish. Arrange the remaining fish on top in bundles. Sprinkle the remaining radishes on top. Spoon 3 tablespoons of Ginger Marinade around each salad and drizzle with a few drops of Chinese chili oil. Serve at once.
Mix any remaining Kaffir Syrup with seltzer water for a refreshing limeade. Use any remaining Ginger Marinade as base for a vinaigrette.