Thai Spiced Eggplant
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 CUP, SERVES 4
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander powder
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Globe eggplant, or 4 Chinese eggplants
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced white onion
- 1/4 cup tomato concassee
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chiffonade
- With a fork, poke eggplant several times. Rub with 1 tablespoon of peanut oil. Grill until completely tender. Remove pulp from the charred skin and rough chop the pulp.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil and butter. Over medium heat, sauté the jalapeño, garlic, ginger and onion until glossy and aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato and eggplant pulp. Stir until well blended. Add the sugar, cumin and coriander. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and correct seasoning with salt and pepper. Turn off heat and stir in cilantro. Use as needed.