Thai Red Curry Sauce
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 CUP, SERVES 4
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 inch ginger, skin on, sliced and smashed
- 1 large lemon grass, white part only, about 4-inch piece, smashed
- 2 inch galangal, peeled and chopped
- 2 dried red Thai chili
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons red Thai curry paste
- 1/4 cup tomato concassee
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2-3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 cup Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- Salt and sugar, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, over high heat, add the peanut oil and stir fry the ginger, lemon grass and galangal. Cook until glossy and aromatic, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the Thai chili and stir-fry another 30 seconds. Add the cumin, paprika, red Thai curry paste and tomato. Cook another 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Deglaze saucepan with coconut milk and bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, add the lime juice and fish sauce. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes and reduce slightly.
- Season to taste with salt and sugar. Remove from heat and steep for 20 minutes. Strain and use as needed.