- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 inch ginger, skin on, sliced and smashed
- 1 large lemon grass, white part only, about 4-inch piece, smashed
- 2 inch galangal, peeled and chopped
- 2 dried red Thai chili
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons red Thai curry paste
- 1/4 cup tomato concassee
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2-3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 cup Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- Salt and sugar, to taste
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, over high heat, add the peanut oil and stir fry the ginger, lemon grass and galangal. Cook until glossy and aromatic, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
Add the Thai chili and stir-fry another 30 seconds. Add the cumin, paprika, red Thai curry paste and tomato. Cook another 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Deglaze saucepan with coconut milk and bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, add the lime juice and fish sauce. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes and reduce slightly.
Season to taste with salt and sugar. Remove from heat and steep for 20 minutes. Strain and use as needed.