- 24 jumbo shrimp (1 to 1 1/2 pounds), shelled and deveined
- 2 packages sugar cane swizzle sticks
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dark rum (preferably Mount Gay)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon, ground cloves and black pepper
- Pinch of salt
How to make this recipe
Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and stir in the oil, lemon juice, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Let marinate for 15 minutes while you prepare the glaze and sugar cane skewers.
Place the ingredients for the glaze in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the mixture until thick and syrupy, 3 to 5 minutes. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Cut the sugar cane sticks crosswise on the diagonal into 5-inch sections. Halve each section lengthwise. The recipe can be prepared several hours ahead to this stage.
Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
Using a bamboo skewer, make two starter holes in each shrimp. Insert a strip of sugar cane through the holes. Skewer the remaining shrimp kebabs the same way. Brush and oil the grill grate. Grill the shrimp kebabs until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side, generously basting with glaze. Serve any remaining glaze as a sauce on the side.