- 24 jumbo shrimp (1 to 1 1/2 pounds), shelled and deveined
- 2 packages sugar cane swizzle sticks
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dark rum (preferably Mount Gay)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon, ground cloves and black pepper
- Pinch of salt
How to make this recipe
- Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and stir in the oil, lemon juice, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Let marinate for 15 minutes while you prepare the glaze and sugar cane skewers.
- Place the ingredients for the glaze in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the mixture until thick and syrupy, 3 to 5 minutes. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the sugar cane sticks crosswise on the diagonal into 5-inch sections. Halve each section lengthwise. The recipe can be prepared several hours ahead to this stage.
- Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
- Using a bamboo skewer, make two starter holes in each shrimp. Insert a strip of sugar cane through the holes. Skewer the remaining shrimp kebabs the same way. Brush and oil the grill grate. Grill the shrimp kebabs until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side, generously basting with glaze. Serve any remaining glaze as a sauce on the side.