- 1 cup root beer (reserved from Root Beer Game Hens)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon each powdered ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, and freshly
ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
Combine all the ingredients in a heavy non-reactive saucepan and gradually bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat slightly and gently simmer the sauce until thick and richly flavored, 10 to 15 minutes.
Taste for seasoning, adding lemon juice, brown sugar, or other ingredients as necessary. Transfer the sauce to a bowl or clean glass jars and let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve. The sauce can be served chilled or at room temperature.