- 1 cup oak or other wood chips (optional)
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound), stem end trimmed
- 2 medium yellow zucchini, squash, or more zucchini (about 1 pound), stem end
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. If using a vegetable grate, preheat it as well. Just before the zucchini go on, toss the wood chips on the coals (if using a charcoal grill) or place in the smoker box or smoker pouch of your gas grill.
Meanwhile, cut the zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, turning the slices several times to coat both sides with oil. Sprinkle the zucchini slices on both sides with the garlic, oregano, mint, crushed red pepper, and lots of salt and pepper. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
Arrange the zucchini slices on the grate and grill until nicely browned on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer the zucchini to a platter and arrange in an attractive pattern. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the zucchini and garnish with lemon wedges for squeezing. Serve at once.