- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 celery rib, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano chile, finely diced
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 4 1/2 cups home-made chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
How to make this recipe
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Season the chicken livers with salt and pepper and add them to the pan. Sear on both sides until golden brown (do not cook through, they will continue cooking in the rice). Using a slotted spoon, transfer the livers to a cutting board, let cool slightly and coarsely chop.
Add the onion, red and yellow bell peppers, celery, garlic, and serrano chile to the pan and cook until soft. Stir in the rice and cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock, maple syrup, chicken livers and season with salt and pepper, stir well and bring to a boil.
Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the parsley and thyme and fluff with a fork.