Asparagus with Poached Eggs and Citrus-Ginger Vinaigrette
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Pino Maffeo uses both green and white asparagus, topped with a sweet-spicy vinaigrette flavored with kalamansi (an Asian citrus that's similar to a mandarin orange) and sudachi (a small green citrus used in Japan that's similar to lemon and lime).
Easy Way Drop the white asparagus and replace the exotic citrus with fresh orange and lime juices.
More Asparagus Recipes
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger juice (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons wasabi powder mixed with 2 teaspoons water
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 pound medium asparagus, trimmed
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- Canola oil, for frying
- Radish sprouts, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice, lime juice and pickled ginger juice with the soy sauce, wasabi mixture and minced shallot until combined. Whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Season the citrus-ginger vinaigrette with salt. Put the panko in a large, resealable plastic bag and crush the bread crumbs finely with a rolling pin.
- Bring a wide, deep skillet of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Using tongs, transfer half of the asparagus to a large plate and the remaining asparagus to a bowl. Add the egg yolks to the bowl and toss to coat the asparagus. Transfer the coated asparagus to the bag and shake to coat with the panko.
- Return the asparagus water to a simmer. Carefully crack each whole egg into a small bowl and slip each one into the water. Poach over moderate heat for 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer the poached eggs to another plate.
- Heat 1/4 inch of canola oil in a medium skillet. Add the breaded asparagus and fry over high heat until they are golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer the fried asparagus to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Spoon the citrus vinaigrette onto 4 plates and add the blanched and fried asparagus. Top with the poached eggs, garnish with radish sprouts and serve right away.