Asparagus with Eggs and Pumpernickel Crumbs
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 thick slice of pumpernickel bread
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 medium white onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 medium asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread the butter on the pumpernickel bread. Bake for about 4 minutes, until crisp. Let cool, then break the toast into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the capers and vinegar and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill or heat a grill pan. Drizzle the asparagus with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over medium heat, turning, until lightly charred and crisp-tender, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the eggs and simmer over moderate heat for 4 1/2 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water; keep the water simmering. Gently crack the eggs all over and carefully remove the shells, keeping the eggs whole.
- Return the shelled eggs to the simmering water until heated through, 30 seconds. Arrange the asparagus on plates and top with the onion relish and the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter the pumpernickel crumbs on top and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.