- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 1 quart vegetable stock, canned low-sodium broth or water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 3/4 pounds medium asparagus, tips cut to 1 inch, stems chopped
- 3 cups spinach (3 1/2 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Edible flowers, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the leeks and cook over moderately low heat, stirring often, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add the asparagus stems and cook over moderately low heat until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for 3 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the asparagus tips in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water until barely tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again and pat dry. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the asparagus tips, yogurt and flowers.
NotesOne Serving 112 calories, 5.8 gm total fat, 0.9 gm saturated fat.