- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
This supercrispy tempura from chef Michael Schlow is one of his favorites. "I love anything fried, and it's the perfect cocktail party dish since no knife or fork is necessary," he says. Try serving the tempura with different sauces, like a high-quality soy sauce or curried mayonnaise.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup club soda
- 24 thin asparagus spears (about 9 ounces), tough bottoms trimmed
- Lemon wedges or prepared ponzu sauce, for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil to 350°. In a medium bowl, whisk the rice flour with the baking powder, baking soda, canola oil, club soda and 1 teaspoon of salt until smooth.
- Dip the asparagus in the batter and fry, in batches if necessary, until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain the asparagus on paper towels and season lightly with salt. Serve at once, with lemon wedges or ponzu sauce.