- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 6 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup dried morel or porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce)
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, combine the onion, garlic and 2 tablespoons of the oil and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook until the asparagus are very tender, about 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, soak the morels in the hot water until softened, about 20 minutes. Swirl to dislodge any grit; drain and chop.
In a pie plate, toss the morels, shallots, remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the shallots are softened and lightly browned.
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return the soup to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup plates, garnish with the mushroom mixture and serve.
The soup and morel garnish can be refrigerated separately overnight. Rewarm before serving.
One Serving Calories 100 kcal, Total Fat 5.6 gm, Saturated Fat 0.9 gm.