- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red miso
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 thick asparagus (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium red onion, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices peasant bread
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the bell pepper until charred all over. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 5 minutes. Peel the pepper and discard the skin, core and seeds, then slice 1/2 inch thick.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the mustard, miso, lemon juice, garlic and cayenne pepper. Season the mayonnaise with salt and pepper.
- Brush the asparagus and onion slices with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over a moderately hot fire until the asparagus are crisp-tender and the onion slices are tender, about 5 minutes per side for each. Transfer the vegetables to a platter. Toast the bread slices on the grill.
- Spread the garlic mayonnaise on 4 slices of toast and sprinkle with the basil. Top with the asparagus, onion and strips of red pepper. Close the sandwiches, cut them in half and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.