© Tara Sgroi
Asparagus Salad with Roasted Peppers and Goat Cheese
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 8
- 2 pounds medium asparagus, tough ends removed
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped tarragon or dill
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces soft mild goat cheese
- 12 Niçoise or Calamata olives, pitted and chopped
- Shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the asparagus until bright green and tender, about 3 minutes; transfer to a colander and refresh under cold water. Drain and pat dry.
- Roast the peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning, until charred all over. Transfer to a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 10 minutes. Peel the peppers and cut them into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the vinegar, capers, mustard, tarragon, garlic and onion; season with salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil.
- Arrange the asparagus on a serving platter. Lay the roasted pepper strips over the asparagus and drizzle with half of the vinaigrette. Crumble the goat cheese on top. Garnish with the chopped olives and the Parmigiano shavings and serve, passing the remaining vinaigrette at the table.
Make Ahead The recipe can be prepared through Step 3 up to 8 hours ahead. Refrigerate the asparagus, peppers and vinaigrette separately.