Asparagus Salad with Herbs and Parmesan
- SERVINGS: 10
- 4 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 3-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped chervil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped chives
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, thinly shaved
- Truffle oil (optional)
- Bring 5 quarts of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the asparagus until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes for thin stalks and 8 to 10 minutes for thick. Drain the asparagus, then chill it in a bowl of ice water. Drain, pat dry and place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil and lemon juice together, then season the dressing with salt and pepper. Stir the chervil, chives, mint and parsley into the salad dressing. Pour the dressing over the asparagus and toss lightly.
- When ready to serve, top the salad with the Parmesan shavings and sprinkle with a few drops of truffle oil, if desired. Pass additional coarse salt at the table.
The herby character of Sauvignon Blancs, such as those from California or Australia, will blend particularly well with this salad. If you prefer, you might opt for a sparkling wine, as did Jean-Christophe Royer.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.