Asparagus Pizzettas with Fontina and Prosciutto
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES FOUR 8-INCH PIZZETTAS
Michael Tusk tops his pizzettas sparingly, as bakers in Italy do, to show off the crisp crusts. Here we've added extra topping, in keeping with American taste.
- 1 pound pizza or bread dough
- 2 pounds medium asparagus, tough ends discarded
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Semolina or fine cornmeal, for dusting
- 2 cups shredded Fontina cheese (6 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded fresh mozzarella (3 ounces)
- 1 1/2 ounces prosciutto, julienned (1 lightly packed cup)
- 4 large sorrel leaves, julienned
- Fresh lemon juice
- Set a pizza stone on the bottom or on the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat the oven to 500°, allowing at least 30 minutes for the stone to heat. On a lightly floured work surface, cut the dough into 4 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the asparagus until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Slice the asparagus 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal and transfer to a large bowl. Add the shallot and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 ball of dough into an 8-inch round. Dust a pizza peel with semolina and set the dough round on it. Lightly brush the dough with olive oil. Scatter 1/2 cup of the Fontina cheese and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella on the dough, then top with one-fourth of the asparagus and 1/4 cup of the prosciutto. Slide the pizzetta onto the hot stone. Bake for about 6 minutes, or until it is crisp and browned on the bottom and bubbling on top. Using a large spatula, transfer the pizzetta to a work surface and cut it into quarters. Sprinkle the pizzetta with the sorrel and lemon juice and serve. As soon as 1 pizzetta is in the oven, prepare the next. Slide it into the oven when the first comes out.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.