© Johnny Miller
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN plus overnight pickling
- SERVINGS: two 24-ounce jars
Crunchy, vinegary and a little spicy, this pickled asparagus would make a terrific accompaniment to sandwiches as well as grilled and roasted meats.
Slideshow: Pickled Vegetable Recipes
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 6 dill sprigs
- 1 quart distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 12 dried red chile peppers, such as chiles de arbol
- 12 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- Place the asparagus and dill in two 24-ounce containers or jars. In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar with 1 quart of water and the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Let stand at room temperature until the brine is lukewarm. Pour over the asparagus, cover and refrigerate overnight for fresh pickles or 3 days for stronger pickles.