Asparagus Egg Drop Soup
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News This luscious, protein-rich soup is based on a dish Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan's mother makes; Gillingham-Ryan uses asparagusa great vegetarian source of folic acidbecause she's allergic to the escarole her mother prefers. "This dish, with its wispy bits of egg and bright-green asparagus spears, is like a spring storm," she says.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cut on the diagonal into 1-inch lengths
- 2 eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shaved Pecorino Romano
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, 8 minutes. Pour in the broth and bring to a simmer. Add the asparagus and cook until just tender, 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and season with salt and black pepper. Slowly pour the eggs into the simmering broth, stirring gently and constantly, until cooked, about 30 seconds. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the shaved Pecorino.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.