Asparagus and Oyster Mushroom Fricassee
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 pounds asparagus, cut on the diagonal into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds oyster mushrooms, large stems discarded, large caps halved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, such as Riesling
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped chervil or 1 teaspoon minced tarragon
- In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch the asparagus until bright green, about 2 minutes. Drain, refresh in a bowl of ice water; drain again.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms in an even layer, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Stir the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 4 minutes longer. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock and asparagus and simmer until the liquid has reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 2 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and simmer over low heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the parsley, chives and chervil, and serve at once.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.