© Lucy Schaeffer
Asparagus and Grilled Shiitake with Soy Vinaigrette
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 pounds thin asparagus
- Light a grill. In a small bowl, mix the 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the soy sauce, lemon juice, vinegar and tarragon and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the shiitake with 2 tablespoons of the soy vinaigrette; season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning once, until just tender, about 6 minutes. Transfer the shiitake to a bowl; cut any large shiitake into quarters. Add 4 tablespoons of the soy vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Bring a large skillet of salted water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Add the asparagus to the skillet and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the ice water to cool. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Arrange the asparagus on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the shiitake over the asparagus, drizzle any remaining vinaigrette on top and serve right away.
Make AheadThe tarragon-soy vinaigrette, grilled shiitake and blanched asparagus can each be refrigerated separately overnight. Reheat the shiitake in a 400° oven for about 4 minutes and bring the asparagus and vinaigrette to room temperature before assembling and serving.