Asian-Style Spicy Coleslaw
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 10
Laurent Tourondel traveled extensively throughout Southeast Asia before opening his BLT empire of restaurants in America, and the spicy fish sauce and peanut dressing in this dish come straight out of Vietnam. Any green cabbage can substitute for the napa cabbage; just be sure to serve the slaw immediately after dressing it so that it retains maximum crunch.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chile sauce
- 2 pounds napa cabbage, thinly sliced (12 cups)
- 3/4 pounds red cabbage, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 3 medium carrots, julienned
- 2 red peppers, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 15 mint leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk the peanut butter with the lime juice, fish sauce, water, sugar, garlic and Sriracha.
- In a large bowl, toss the napa and red cabbages with the carrots, peppers, cilantro and mint. Toss the salad with the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Serve right away.