Asian-Style Grilled Whole Red Snapper with Radish Salad
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Drizzling this moist and tender grilled fish with an Asian vinaigrette is easy and utterly delicious.
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon jarred pickled ginger, chopped, plus 2 teaspoons brine from the jar
- 1 teaspoon brown miso paste
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 9 radishes—8 thinly sliced, 1 chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Two 2 1/2-pound whole red snappers, cleaned and scaled
- 1 poblano chile, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 20 thyme sprigs
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup lightly packed radish sprouts
- In a blender, combine the soy sauce, red wine vinegar, pickled ginger and brine, miso paste, sherry vinegar and chopped radish and puree until smooth. With the blender on, drizzle in the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper and transfer to a small bowl.
- Light a grill and oil the grate. Season the snapper cavities with salt and pepper and fill with the poblano, thyme sprigs and lemon slices. Tie the fish with kitchen string at 2-inch intervals. Generously brush the fish with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Set the fish on the grill, cover and grill over moderate heat, turning once with large spatulas, until the flesh just flakes with a fork, about 20 minutes. Carefully transfer the fish to a platter. Remove the kitchen strings. Using 2 forks, lift the fillets off the bones and transfer to plates.
- In a medium bowl, toss the sliced radishes with the sprouts and 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Top the fish fillets with the radishes. Drizzle a little of the remaining vinaigrette around the fish and serve.
The vinaigrette can be refrigerated overnight.
This impressive snapper has a lot of bold flavors—from ginger to poblano chile. Pair it with an equally lively Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.