- Six 12-ounce bone-in beef short ribs
- Kosher salt
- Ground fennel, for seasoning
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup dry red wine, such as Syrah
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 quarts water
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Light a grill. Season the ribs with salt and fennel. Grill over high heat, turning, until charred all over, 12 minutes. Transfer to a flameproof roasting pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the ketchup, wine, vinegar, molasses, onion flakes, fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic powder, chipotle, sesame oil and 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. Whisk in the water. Pour over the ribs and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and braise, turning the ribs once, until very tender, 2 1/2 hours.
- Transfer the sauce to a large saucepan and boil over high heat until reduced to 4 cups, 1 hour; cover. Keep the ribs warm in a 200° oven.
- Increase the oven temperature to 350°. Pour the sauce over the ribs and roast until glazed, about 15 minutes.
Polenta or cheese grits.
Spicy, juicy California red blend.