- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ketjap manis (see Note) or sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- 1 tablespoon minced mint
- 3/4 teaspoon chile-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the scallions, shallots, garlic and ginger and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl and let cool.
Add the ground pork to the bowl, along with the egg white, ketjap manis, cilantro, basil, mint, chile-garlic paste, salt and white pepper and mix with your hands until thoroughly combined. Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and roll into balls.
Transfer the meatballs to the prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 to 17 minutes, or until browned; Serve immediately.
Ketjap manis, a soy sauce from Indonesia, is available at Asian groceries.
Chicken stock flavored with ginger and scallions, or Chinese egg noodles and sautéed Asian vegetables, like bok choy.