- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds thin Japanese eggplant, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoon dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil in a wok. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the garlic to a small bowl.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of the oil to the wok, tilting to coat with oil, and raise the heat to high. Add half of the eggplant slices in a single layer around the bottom and sides. Cook without stirring until the eggplant is browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook until browned on the other side, about 1 more minute. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the wine all over the eggplant and cook until evaporated. Transfer the eggplant to a dish. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the wok and repeat the process with the remaining eggplant and wine.
- Meanwhile, add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar to the cooked garlic. Return all the eggplant to the wok, add the sauce and stir over high heat until the sauce boils. Season with salt and pepper, transfer to a platter and serve.