Asian Fried and Glazed Baby Back Ribs
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
One of Roy Choi’s favorite Honolulu spots is Side Street Inn. “The first time I went there, I was blown away by the dive bar scene—TVs everywhere, empty beer glasses, a mismatched hodgepodge design—and the quality of the food, which is really good,” he says. Side Street’s sticky fried ribs really stand out for Choi: He makes his version with a mixture of staple Asian sauces, including hoisin, black bean sauce, oyster sauce and Sriracha.
- 2 racks baby back ribs (about 3 pounds each)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup Chinese chile-garlic sauce
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup Chinese black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chile sauce
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 scallions, very thinly sliced on the diagonal and 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Score the underside of the ribs, making 4 long, deep slits across the backs of the bones. Cut each rack in half and season with salt and pepper. Add the ribs to the boiling water and simmer over moderately low heat until tender, about 1 hour. Transfer the ribs to a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet and let cool, then refrigerate uncovered for at least 4 hours or overnight. Cut the racks into individual ribs and bring to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, combine the hoisin, chile-garlic sauce, oyster sauce, orange juice, black bean sauce and Sriracha. Transfer the glaze to a wide, shallow dish.
- Preheat the oven to 200. In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 1/2 inches of oil to 350. Working in batches, fry the ribs until nicely browned and crisp, 3 minutes. Add the fried ribs to the glaze and turn to coat. Transfer the glazed ribs to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you fry and glaze the remaining ribs. Transfer the ribs to a platter, garnish with the scallions and sesame seeds and serve.
Fruit-forward Shirazes from Australia’s McLaren Vale region are lively and juicy, fantastic with these substantial, sticky ribs.